Historic Preservation Month
During the month of May, Main Street Morgantown encourages the community to celebrate National Historic Preservation Month. Come together as communities across the country celebrate their heritage and preserve their history. Historic preservation is the practice of protecting and preserving buildings, structures, and other artifacts of historical significance. This is important because our built environment is a reflection of our cultural identity, and historic places provide us with a tangible link to our past.
Main Street Morgantown invites you to join our local celebration of National Historic Preservation Month with the themes of "Building" and "Looking Up." Notice your surroundings and recognize the beauty and significance of historic buildings and structures. “Building” is both a noun and a verb. It's easy to take the built environment for granted, so by "Looking Up," we hope to inspire people to appreciate their surroundings, becoming advocates for preservation and the protection of historic buildings for future generations.
We invite non-profits, government organizations, businesses, and citizens to celebrate Historic Preservation Month in their own way by hosting events, social media campaigns, and other initiatives. Let's work together to raise awareness about the importance of historic preservation and inspire people to take action:
- Share a photo of a favorite historic building or architectural detail.
- Organize a display or historic books or photos for others to see.
- Go on a historic walking tour (link) or organize one of your own.
- Follow our social media in May for then and now photos of favorite Downtown buildings.
To celebrate Historic Preservation Month, we encourage everyone to share photos of their favorite historic buildings on social media using the hashtags #BuildingHistory and #LookingUpMorgantown. Let's build a movement to preserve our history and protect our heritage for generations to come.
Celebrations from across the community
- Proclamation: May is Historic Preservation Month from Mayor Jenny Selin (link)
- Historic Preservation Month Social Media Celebration @DowntownMorgantown
Events & Activities
- May Arts Walk - "Building" (link)
- May Pop-Up Plaza - "Building" (link)
- "Looking Up" Scavenger Hunt available from Main Street Morgantown & Morgantown History Museum
- Self-Guided Historic Downtown Walking Tours available from Main Street Morgantown & Morgantown History Museum
- Geocaching Adventure Lab Scavenger Hunt through Morgantown Historic District by Wesley UMC (link)
- Free Admission to Morgantown History Museum during opening hours (link)
- Historic City Hall Banners: Past, Present and Future by City of Morgantown (link)
- "Morgantown's Black Entrepreneurs of the 19th & 20th Century" by Stewart Williams & Jennie Smith (on limited display - exhibition schedule coming soon)
- Warner Theater Marquee
- 'Morgantown Restored' Storefront Activation (link)
Online & Multimedia Celebrations
- Business Briefing: Historic Preservation Month by Morgantown Area Partnership (link)
- Morgantown Magazine - Morgantown Lowdown revisits historic structures (link)
- Social Media posts from
- Historic Landmark Commission
- Historic Post Office
- Mon River Trails Conservancy
- Monongalia Arts Center
- Morgantown Area Partnership
- Morgantown Magazine
- Morgantown Public Library System & Aull History & Genealogy Research Center
- Morgantown Utility Board
- Visit Mountaineer County CVB
- And more!